Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Passages:

Which passages are significant to the story? Why? Quote the passage, list the page #, and explain its importance.

2 comments:

  1. “I want to do something, right here, right now, to shame them, to make them accountable, to show the Capitol that whatever they do or force us to do there is a part of every tribute they can’t own. That Rue was more than a piece in their Games. And so am I.” (page 136-137)

    This passage is important because it explains how Katniss feels before she sets the flowers around Rue while she dies. This is Katniss' first act of rebellion against the Capitol. By doing this, Katniss is blaming the Capitol for Rue's death; she is showing them that the Hunger Games have not turned her into an evil person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Effie Trinket askes for volunteers, but no one steps forward. He has two older brothers, I know, I've seen them in the bakery, but one is probably too old now to volunteer and the other won't. This is standard. Family devotion only goes so far for most people on reaping day. What I did was the radical thing. [page 26]
    This passage is important to the story because of the light it sheds on Peeta's background and how it casts Katniss as a brave volunteer that is faithful to her family. It lets the reader know that Peeta's "picture perfect" life may not be as great as it seems, that his family is unsupportive and the negative effects that it has on his life. It's also the first sign of Katniss's protective instincts that come into play later in the novel.

    ReplyDelete