Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Interpretation:

What are your thoughts on the deeper meaning of the book? Interprest and analyze the book here.

5 comments:

  1. Other than an extremely interesting story, the Hunger Games does have a deeper meaning within the pages. I would say that this book is a microcosm, demonstrating the way some people think that the upper class can rule over the lower class. Obviously, this issue is not as extreme as it once was years ago, but it still lingers here in 2011. The capitol represents the upper class, receiving respect and advantages that lower class members do not have. The actual games could be symbolic of how employers, the government, and fellow citizens do not give these low-class people a chance to survive in the real world. By denying people of jobs, houses, and chances, the upper-class is ruling over the lower-class as the capitol is ruling over Panem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the book does have more meaning then what is on the pages. I think its showing that upper-class can sometimes really rule over lower-class which is unfair. I also think it shows that there is always some sort of oppression even when we think it is non-existent in our country/world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the deeper meaning of the story shows Collins' disapproval of countries where citizens are subjugated by their government. She constantly casts the ruling class, the Capitol, as a morally corrupt enemy. This shows her deep hatred of the way people can be mistreated and manipulated by their government. The games are symbolic of the struggles these people must endure everyday just in order to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to Andrew's comment,
    I like how you compared the games to the struggles the people of Panem must endure everyday to survive; that is very true! Because the games symbolize the people's struggles, it is also shown that in addition to not having daily struggles, children of the Capitol do not have to be reaped for the hunger games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Maxie's comment about how the book shows the ruling class. It seems as though Collins has a real dislike or problem with them in real life, so she went and decided to cast them as a monster of sorts.

    ReplyDelete